It was one of the key moments in pop history – even if neither of them realised it at the time.
On 6 July 1957, teenagers John Lennon and Paul McCartney were introduced to each other at St Peter’s Church Fete in Woolton, where 16-year-old John was playing with his band The Quarrymen.
Now, to mark the 60th anniversary that day is being recreated by Cavern City Tours – owner of the Cavern Club, in collaboration with St Peter’s Church and Bishop Martin School.
The Quarrymen are set to play at the Thursday, 6 July event, which will include an afternoon fete, followed by a ticket-only Grand Dance in the church hall.
The fete includes:
- The Quarrymen performing from the back of a flatbed lorry, with original driver Doug Chadwick on the wheel, as it travels on a circular route around Woolton village.
- The crowning of the Rose Queen.
- A children’s fancy dress competition judged by John Lennon’s sister Julia Baird who attended the 1957 fete as a child.
- Traditional stalls, games and crafts, along with refreshments and a barbecue.
- Live music throughout the afternoon.
The Grand Dance takes place in the church hall from 7.30pm and will feature a musical line-up, which includes a finale by the original Quarrymen.
The Cavern Club is also celebrating its 60th birthday in 2017.
Cavern City Tours director Bill Heckle said: “The day John met Paul was, in essence, the birth of the Beatles.”
“Without this key meeting between two schoolboys in a leafy Liverpool suburb, there would have been no Beatles as we know them, and with Paul turning 75 in June we think he’d agree 06 July 1957 was one of the most important days in his life.
“We’re delighted to be able to recreate this moment in the history of music, and we hope people get in to the spirit of the occasion – we’d love to see everyone turn up in 50s-style outfits to really turn back the clock.”
Admission to the afternoon fete is by £2.50 programme on the day.
Tickets for the Grand Dance cost £20 and go on sale at 10am on Friday, 17 March, from the
Cavern website www.cavernclub.com